July 21, 2013

See, I am determined to be better about this. Small steps, friends, small steps.



I have returned from the land of really big painpills and have survived to tell the stories!  Last you heard I was headed for surgery on my left wrist. I did some googling and tried to watch some Youtube videos, but just couldn't watch without running short of breath and getting queasy. So, here's what I had and the translation for the rest of us who don't speak medical-ese: I had an open reduction (they cut the underside of my wrist open and rebroke my wrist) internal fixation (put in a titanium plate and 9 pins) on the left distal radius (the long bone of my left arm, under the thumb). OK it means a really big long scar down the inside of my wrist. I wonder how many times someone will actually ask if I did it myself?

The Royal Mother spent the night before and stayed with me through the surgery till about lunchtime
Drunken painting
Saturday. We decided that I somehow end up with really attractive doctors, or maybe all doctors are attractive, but I'm not really buying that one.  Both the orthopedist and the anesthesiologist were verrrry nice looking, professional men. Hey, they had my life and wrist in their hands, you think I'm going to bad-mouth them?  They gave me some incredible pain medication, but actually having all the pieces back in the correct places seemed to provide the most pain relief. I'm pretty sure there was a nerve pinched in there somewhere. Mr. Wonderful (the guy who actually sat in the ER with me the night I broke the wrist) took over for lunch and the afternoon, then my sister came for the rest of the weekend.  By Monday, I was ambulatory, but still enjoying the amazing naps provided by the pain medication.  I'd take a pill about every six hours, and would wake up after four hours, go pee, grab something to eat, take another dose, watch an hour of tv, and by then my chin would be on my chest and it would be time to shuffle back to the bedroom.
10 days after surgery.

Went back to Dr on Monday, and he changed the dressing. I was surprised at how little bruising there was and really not much swelling. During that first week I did go to a "drunken painting" class with Nora, but I was the cheapest date there. One glass of wine was all I could handle, but my painting turned out well enough that I've used it to decorate the front bath...yes, the "company" bathroom! What are the odds that not much drinking would result in a good painting. Hmmmm.

10 days after surgery, the splint and pressure bandages came off and the new, pink cast went on.  Stitches came out and the surgical site looks really good! No swelling, no bruising and really pink and healthy looking! Chose hot pink cast again, at suggestion of a male friend who stated it was like me, bold yet feminine. Bwahahahhahaha, he said that even AFTER he saw me fall on my face. And I haven't taken any more pain meds since the last dr visit.


Muddy Cinder
Here I am 16 days out and finally feel like I got my energy back! Actually cleaned house and did laundry this weekend. Took care of kitchen and bathroom floors, stripped the bed and washed sheets.
Broke the studio down and deep-cleaned, moved some things around and hooked up the Cricut mini that I got for Christmas (thank you royal sister!) and made the first project. Have rinsed the dog off TWICE since she insists on making mud puddles every time she goes out.

Soundtracks for the weekend: India.Arie's "Songversation," Jobn Legend, Robin Thicke, Daft Punk and listening to The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith, really it's JK Rowling writing under a pseudonym. An adult novel, no Hogwart's stuff at all.


I'm ready to get started on all those other household projects I've had on my list to be done this summer. Cast comes off August 15 and I've got my shopping list for Home Depot
already written.  Have to replace the closet doors I took off in disgust a year ago. I just don't keep a neat enough house to have all my business available for everyone to see. Need to finish painting the ceiling and the floor in the front bedroom. Going to sand those floors and then decide if I want to paint or stain them darker and then refinish. Input anyone? Paint and seal or stain a darker color and refinish? Let's hear it, ok?

Have a good week all, next Sunday I leave for 6 days in Scottsdale at the NACADA Summer Learning Institute. Hope to have some fun, good pictures to post while there.

No comments: