April 26, 2011

Happenings in the Land of Typos

Busy couple of weeks for the Typo household.  Starting after the Epic Houseviewing Weekend, the social life ramped up again.  The next week I was going to make a pass through my top two choices,  the one with the Chambers stove and the first house I looked at. Friday morning, the day we were going to do the walk-through, I found out the one with the cool stove was already in contract, which narrowed the field considerably. I took Mr. Man to view the single choice in the morning and the Queen Mother in the afternoon. At the afternoon viewing, I signed an offer contract and made an initial offer on the house.

That night I realized that Mother and I were leaving on a cruise the next morning and I had been so wrapped up in house stuff that I hadn't packed. Friday evening was dinner with Mr. Man and Mom (they liked each other) and then the mad, marathon suitcase-packing night.  Mom and I got up Saturday morning, left the keys with the dog sitter and headed south to meet the ship. We were about an hour from the house when I got a text message from my real estate agent that the owner's had made a counter offer, which I immediately accepted. 

The Queen Mother and I continued toward our cruise with the Queen's childhood best friend and her family. The real estate deal required some stops to sign and fax documents and then we hit the ship....ahhhh, umbrella drinks and attractive men to serve them, sun, ocean, great food...vacation!!!

We went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Shopping, food, beverages (lots and lots of them) were wonderful. The ocean was beautiful and calm and the sun caressed our skin. Nope! I did not get sunburned, but I did get to lay out quite a bit. Thanks to technology for SPF 50, my red hair and fair skin did not get crispy. The spa on the ship was relaxing, the wait staff was attentive and we had fun all the way around! During the cruise I was still signing and transmitting documents for the real estate deal, but by Thursday it was all official and my earnest money check was deposited by the title company.
 
Yesterday Mr. Man and I spent the afternoon with the home inspector. I know it's been a long, long time since I bought a house, but I really don't remember the inspection taking 3 hours. I'm not complaining, mind you, just very conscious and grateful for the thoroughness and professionalism of this inspection. The inspector told us the house was in the best shape he'd seen for one it's age. While he worked, I walked the floors, visualizing colors and furniture placement. I also got a better idea of the work that would need to go into the house before I could fully move in.  I've planned the closing and moving dates so that I will have a month in both places at the same time for cleaning and painting.

Anyone bored and looking for something to do around May 30 feel free to give me a call! I promise there will be pictures with the next post!!

No comments: