April 3, 2011

Househunting

Sunday I looked at 9, count them, nine houses in person. You really don't think that walking through empty houses can be exhausting, but I'm here to tell you I was worn out by the end of the three hour session.  I got verification of some amenities that I now consider essential (garage, three bedrooms, two baths) and got a better feel for the houses and neighborhoods right here in River City.  I narrowed the list down to two houses, plus one I've had my eye on for a couple of months.  They are all houses from the late 50's-early 60's and all will require some cosmetic work and painting, but I'm up for that. I just love the established neighborhoods with great big trees.

1950 era Chambers Range
I've heard of Chambers ranges, but one of the houses actually has one and I am now stupid in love with them!  They are the coolest looking vintage stoves I've ever seen.  They were advertised as the stove that cooked with the gas off, meaning you would preheat the oven and it would hold the heat so well for so long that you could turn the gas off a portion of the way through the cooking cycle. There is a grill/broiler on the stove top and the back right burner is actually a cooking well, for slow cooking.

The house that currently sits atop my favorites list has a Chambers range, a fully landscaped back yard with Japanese maples and assorted blooming flowers. It also still has room in the flower beds for an herb garden.  It's less than 15 minutes from work!

I have looked at enough houses that my brain is full and I need to process everything I've seen.The original house I fell for will be back on the market by then and hopefully I can make a comparison.  I'm going to take the next couple of weeks to process and make a decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you find a great house.

Queentypo said...

Found it!!!